Followers

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Ichabod

Concerning religion, I've been angry a lot over the last few years. Honestly, it's been longer than a few years.  Some of this anger is present as I reflect upon my childhood teachings about how I was to fear god yet accept "his" love at the same time.  Of the dual nature of god,  I could never reconcile the polar opposites of this celestial being.  By the way, I loathe the divisive and conscious use of male pronouns and the propagation of such by the church patriarchy through the years when referring to deity.

I am also angry at the behavior I observed when believers of one persuasion treated the believers of another persuasion with scorn or disdain, OR, more close to home, how believers treated their own when they did not measure up.  My own sweet mother, who loved to sing solos in church and still does, was politely told that she would NOT be singing for a locally televised sunday church service because she and my father were separated.  The self-righteous minister said her personal situation, being widely known in our small community, was not an image the church wanted to air, literally or figuratively! I was in the 8th or 9th grade at the time.

Skipping ahead, after college I went to seminary, Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, in North Carolina. I was there in 1987 when the fundamentalist contingency of the Southern Baptist Convention had come into majority power and started to mandate that all professors sign an infallibility statement indicating their agreement that the Christian Bible was the infallible and inerrant Word of God. The seminary president, who happened to be the uncle of a dear college friend of mine, resigned during this time, very likely under the pressure of the right wing arm of the seminary board.   Many professors and students led by their own convictions followed his lead and went elsewhere.  I was one of those who left, angered yes, but more confused due to the upheaval of my own set of beliefs.

During this tumultuous time, a friend of mine drew a picture of the seminary chapel with the word "Ichabod" written boldly above the chapel doors. The Hebrew word Ichabod means "the glory has departed." Furthermore, the word glory in this context denotes presence as in the manifestation of god's presence. My departure from seminary and from my former Christian faith is symbolized in my friend's apt drawing.

I ditched the religious calling some 20+ years ago when I left seminary though I returned once more to leave yet again for a final time without completing my degree.  Since then I have been quite content to explore and have participated in various religious communities and/or spiritual expressions of faith. I have dabbled in the mysticism of eastern religions, read many books by the self-help gurus to gain enlightenment, and listened to the "attract anything you want, if you just believe" secret of the religious science church (the latter now striking me as oxymoronic).

To be clear, I am angered by the duplicity and the self-righteousness exhibited by certain born-again religious types from my past.  The misguided and sometimes abusive behavior of some has made an indelible impression on me to be sure and has left me with me contempt for religion in general. As an aside, I do not think all religious folks are pricks as I have many dear friends who profess faith.

However, I must note that my disbelief in god, let alone a personal god, is not determined on how religious people treat others, good or bad.  The glory did not depart overnight, but during my years of questioning and searching, I find myself in a new day, a new light.

7 comments:

  1. Oh Chipper, this just breaks my heart. I always wanted to BE you, growing up. Your faith was so real, and so pure.

    I know that you say that the behaviors of others have not influenced your decision to leave your beliefs behind, but that's exactly what I'm reading here. We can't control the behaviors of other people, and nothing anyone else does or says to me can shake what I believe, just because there are idiots who claim to be "Christians" too. The ones who use God as a weapon to bludgeon people who they think are "lesser" than them are not behaving in a "Christlike" manner, and IMO are not Christians.

    But you know what? I don't have to leave what I believe because of them. They will be dealt with, and it won't be up to me or anyone else of this earth to deal with them.

    I know this might not be appreciated, but my heartfelt prayers are with you and your beautiful family. I am glad you found someone as awesome as your Amy seems to be, and that you have your little angel.

    Please don't close your heart completely. Be happy, Chipper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're all searching. Searching is not bad. Searching and reflection, I think, is evidence of truly extending our hearts and hands to God, whether we realize it or not. That's not what I want to address here, at this time.

    Instead, I would like to amplify some of the words from the previous reply, because truer words were never spoken:

    'We can't control the behaviors of other people, and nothing anyone else does or says to me can shake what I believe, just because there are idiots who claim to be "Christians" too. The ones who use God as a weapon to bludgeon people who they think are "lesser" than them are not behaving in a "Christlike" manner, and IMO are not Christians.'

    Yep. I'm seeing some males from Cherryville (or around its apron skirts) setting themselves up on soapboxes and trying to emulate St. Paul in his letters to the early Christian communities.

    While that may be okay on a good day, I also see some definite attempts by those or similar men at bludgeoning others with illogical arguments that are not focused by college education, seminary training, or any education vessel other than their own self-absorption, ultra-conservative politics (and in some cases racism) and their wish to be seen as "right" and "men of Christ".

    Anyone who tries to share a fuller picture of the world with them (and to temper their thinly veiled hatred of anyone who doesn't agree with them) is subsequently deflected by a barrage of scripture (often out of context) and words intended to defend obvious racism/fascism/hatred rather than to "build up one another in Christ" and to truly reflect Christian values.

    We can only hope that those people will realize the narrow focus that shapes their viewpoints and that their love of God (if it really is true) will cause them to be more loving people all around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Search and question with your heart open. Everyone has been hurt or treated badly at times during life. I agree with the first comment that while you indicate you don't let others behavior dictate your belief, etc. that much of what you outlined was directly related to a person or group of people's behaviors and attitudes. We are humans, and we will disappoint those who love us as they will disappoint us from time to time. It took me a long time (years) to let go of some hurt and anger that I had. Regardless of whether I was going to be religious or not be religious, I found I was much happier and at peace when I let all the things that hurt me or others I care about go. By spending my days and years being angry and hurt, I continued to allow those very people continue to have control over my happiness. I don't how I finally had the revelation, but I did. It wasn't a devine moment and it didn't happen at an alter.

    I hope wherever your journey takes you and whatever your search finds that you'll be able to leave the hurt and anger behind. Hurt and anger eat at your very being; you'll never be able to find true peace while held in their grips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Yada yada yada' on the last note. Sounds extremely preachy. "Hurt and anger eat at your very being; you'll never be able to find true peace while held in their grips."

    You know what gentle reader? It takes some of us YEARS to get over hurt and anger. Don't cram your nice platitudes down Paul's throat or anyone elses.

    If you are completely painfree, then lovely for you. In the meantime, show a little more respect for those whom it may take longer to work through concerns.

    ReplyDelete
  5. anonymous--I believe I indicated it took years for me to let some things go; perhaps I should have indicated 4 decades. I am not trying to preach. Paul and I have a very close special relationship and he knows I am not preaching. I don't care if Paul is an atheist, a Buddhist, or whatever life style and/or religion that he may choose as my relationship with him will always be strong. I am not painfree, and sorry if it seemed I insinuated I was. I was just sharing with him one of the many processes that helped me. I truly hope that Paul is always happy and at peace.

    I am speaking from experience about the effects that anger and hurt had for me. I was well into my 40's before I really didn't have the emotions rearing their ugly head on a regular basis.

    What I wrote is from the heart, so I think anonymous who dismissed my post might have consideration for those who did take years to work through it and have offered a small part of the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My apologies to IMHO. I agree that your comments came from the heart. I personally resist platitudes that provide a conclusion (for anyone else). That said, I was probably wrong in the way I presented a counterview to yours. We all have valuable experience to share. We all are traveling through and need to encourage one another.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks anonymous. I try not to provide a conclusion for others or preach, but I goof up a great deal. :) Looking forward to reading more of your comments as we stroll along.

    ReplyDelete